Friday, November 27, 2009

Family (Kind of) Divided - Baylor vs. Texas

We have a bit of a conflict in our house when it comes to the Big 12 Conference. Erik and his family are DIE HARD University of Texas fans and I (for reasons other than athletics) chose to go to school at Baylor University. So, when it comes to sports we have a few problems and our kids are now having to choose (ha! "choose" - only in my dreams). Although I'd like to think that it's a decision, my kids at the ripe ages of 7 and 3 have chosen to be Longhorn fans. Poor Mom!

In spite of all of that and the fact that Texas' football team is ranked #3 in the nation this year (for now...it's not January yet!), we packed our bags and headed to Waco for the Baylor vs. Texas game. Tate joined us this year and kept telling everyone that he was going to cheer on both teams. He so loves his Mom because, believe me, this was only out of pure love and not due to his true feelings for the game/teams.

Upon arriving in Waco, we stopped at the Spirit Shop and purchased Tate a Bears jersey so that he could wear it along with his Longhorn eye black and helmet. Confusing, I know.... We headed to the pre-game festivities and he was a trooper still supporting that green and gold but with his blood starting to spill burnt orange. He contained his true feelings UNTIL the opening kickoff at which point both hands went straight up in the air as he proudly became the loudest, most obnoxious Longhorn fan with not only one hand displaying the hook 'em horns sign but TWO. He immediately looked at me and said "Sorry Mom!" How can you blame a kid when the score at half time is 40 to 0 Longhorns all the way. I will say, Baylor won the second half of the game 14 - 7 against the incoming Texas freshman (kidding...but Mack was playing the fourth string).
None of that mattered to me at all because I got to spend the day with my two favorite boys doing one of my favorite things....watching football on a gorgeous Texas day. The only thing that could have made that day any better would have been if Peyton could have been there. She's still a bit too young to make it through an entire game. And..., ok, a Baylor victory would be nice too but (to keep peace in the family) I'll wish for that during a season that doesn't have National Championship implications.


I'm already looking forward to next year's game when the Bears (with a healthy Robert Griffin) head into Austin to take on the Longhorns (and, hopefully, the 2010 National Champions). Good times ahead!

The family minus "Sister" (a.k.a. Peyton). We missed you P!



Jaime

No comments: