Tuesday, May 25, 2010

The Storm - 8U Flower Mound City Champs

What an exciting baseball season this has been for Tate – ok, and his family as well. His team, the Storm, not only finished the regular season undefeated but won the 8U city tournament. They played the #2 team in the division, the Cardinals, in the final game and won 16 - 12. Go Storm!

This has been one of my favorite seasons so far not only due to the wins (yes - I admit it - I'm extremely competitive.) but also because I didn't realize that 8 year olds could play great baseball. Hang on ...I know what you are saying...You are a mom of one of those 8 year olds what else would you say. That is a very true statement, but as our coach indicated at the beginning of this season - 8U baseball is great because the kids have gotten the hang of the rules, understand the game somewhat and have begun to show the skills of real players. (Oh, and did I mention, 8U is still coach pitch which helps.) No more "pickin daisy" moments for these boys! Ok, that was a mom statement because we did have some "blooper" worthy moments where we had to remind ourselves that they are still 8 years old.

It was great though to see the hours the boys and their coaches dedicated to this team pay off. We have a great group of dedicated dads that are awesome (and love to win too!) - thanks Coach Steve and crew! Here's another amazing fact, a lot of these kids have been playing together since they were 4 years old. Nice lesson for the boys to begin learning...hard work and dedication does pay off.

Congrats to the Storm players and parents! Parents...we made it through another successful season. I don't know about you but my blood pressure needs a break and my hair dresser has some work before her to get rid of many, newly acquired gray hairs.

I now understand why my parents always told me it was more nerve racking to watch your kids activities then to actually participate yourself. Mom, I only wish baseball parks had rafter seating. You’d be proud though, I have mastered the skill of pacing. :>)

Quick note: Thanks to Wendy Kall for the photos I "borrowed" from her blog.

Jaime

No comments: